One day when you look back



I cannot know your deepest soul

nor your inner world

I see you, but for a moment,

as you grow and change before me

Could I but reach that second,

where you once were


To know your unique truth,

but alas, you are already gone.

And so I chase after you

and grasp at empty air


Where you once stood

I catch only the shadow of your last step


{because you belong to the future}


I will never catch you darling,

but will catch only a glimpse


--- from time to time ---


I am the past looking at you,

as your eyes gaze at tomorrow.


Occasionally, when you look back, I see you,

but you are a mystery to me


I am a mystery to you too, a father,

but a soul you will hardly know


Until one day, when I am gone

and you look back,

and reach for me --- as I reach for you now.


In that moment, just know,

that our love is forever.

Post a Comment

0 Comments